Villages

Ansty
Attractive village nestling beside the Ansty brook, and the location of a hospice begun in 1230 by the Knights Hospitallers of St John. Large village pond with ducks and wildfowl, and a 50 feet high maypole dominate the scene. The people and children of Ansty march around the pole every May Day to the old tune of The Oyster Girl (known locally as Cabbages And Boiled Onions).


Hindon
Now a village, Hindon was up until the early years of the 19th century a borough and market town important enough to return one member of Parliament. It was contested at one time, unsuccessfully, by Benjamin Disraeli. Pollarded trees line the streets and the houses are most attractive to look at. The author and naturalist W.H. Hudson once stayed at the Lamb Inn, while the Gros venor Arms, nearly opposite, features an old coaching sign.


Horningsham
On the Longleat Estate, this village boasts the oldest non-conformist chapel in England, twelve pollarded lime trees known as "The Apostles" outside the Bath Arms inn, a mill pond, and an old hand pump on the green.


Sherrington
Akin to the picture on a chocolate box, Sherrington has thatched cottages around former cress growing beds where ducks now paddle for the delight of visitors. The mill (now a house) is a favourite place of Hollywood actor Marlon Brando. Old signs with a religious theme can be seen on the exterior of the church and Rectory Cottage. A castle mound can be seen across the moat (a favourite haunt of kingfishers) behind the church. Jacob sheep graze in the paddocks and clothing spun from their wool is available locally.


Stockton
Chequered flint, thatched and half-timbered cottages line the village street, making Stockton a favourite place for photographers. The Church of St John the Baptist has many interesting monuments, including one to John Topp who founded the village almshouses in 1641. The Carriers Arms reminds us of the area's agricultural past.


Tytherington
This hamlet between Heytesbury and Sutton Veny features a chapel traditionally associated with Empress Maud. The yard of Church Farm features a 19th century dovecote built of Flemish bond brick. The village postbox is a Victorian model. A hollow elm tree, on the green, which was felled in December 1995 was known locally as the "Bacon and Tea Tree" following its use as a pigsty and the venue for a tea party in 1875.